07 September 2012

The Pros of the Menstrual Cup

So, now we know what a menstrual cup is--I'd like to go through some of the pros and cons, things that I thought through when deciding to use and continue to use one. I'm starting with the pros--cons are here. Let me know if you have any questions--or click one of the links at the bottom for more info.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty biased toward menstrual cups. :)


The Advantages of a Menstrual Cup

Healthier

Menstrual cups are made from inert materials, usually silicon or natural rubber, which means that they don't harbor germies like tampons and pads can. There are currently no links between menstrual cups and TSS or endometriosis like there are with tampons. Also, unlike fibrous tampons, menstrual cups don't leave anything behind inside of your body. Tampons and pads usually contain chemicals like bleaches; menstrual cups don't.

You know what else is cool? Super-Howard is, that's what!
(C) Super-Kirstie Bickford.


More Convenient

You can wear a menstrual cup for up to twelve hours without fear of germies or odors building up. (During a heavy flow, you probably have to empty it more often, but it's still generally less than with pads or tampons.) Can you wear them at night? Yep. Can you wear them while playing sports? Of course. Even while standing on your head on a stallion that's galloping at full speed while being chased by fire-breathing porcupines that can fly? I would say it's likelier than this scenario ever actually happening...

I think my brother took this picture. Don't steal it.

Cheaper

The average menstrual cup runs $30-40; companies say that their products can last anywhere from 1 to 10 years. Let's go with 1 year for our scenario. Now, when I was using disposable products, I spent about $5 a month on them (and this is probably fairly conservative). Five bucks, twelve times a year, equals $60, so with my DivaCup, I was cutting my menstruation bill in half. In half! *Slips that extra thirty bucks into her pocket to go buy more ice cream...*

Environmentally friendly

This goes along with "Cheaper." I use one little piece of silicon that will last me 1-10 years. Let's compare that with pads. Let's say that, every month, a woman uses one pack of "regular" pads: that's about 16 pads (and this is probably also on the low end). So let's say that a girl gets her period at around 13 and reaches menopause at around 50. That's about 37 years of menstruation (and we'll assume she doesn't have kids). So 37 years times 12 months each year times 16 pads each menstrual cycle equals 7,104 pads that a woman would use in her lifetime. Now multiply that by all of the women who use, have used, or will use menstrual pads. Yikes! 

What's more environmentally friendly than menstrual cups? Why, planting a tree and watering it with urine! Yes, I really did that.
Photo by Kirstie Bickford who will not be hugging this tree...
All those pads go to the landfill (or a hole in the ground or in the street - depends on what the norm is in your hometown). Now, unlike papaya skins and coconut shells, the chemicals and plastics in menstrual pads don't break down into anything useful--they just sit there being plastic and chemicals.

Or you could just use 4 little pieces of silicon.

..kirstie..

(I'm not Randall Munroe, so take the math in this post with a grain of salt.)

Links for more info:
Menstrual Cup Advantages on Wikipedia
A surprisingly helpful comment on Yahoo! Answers
A menstrual cup community on Livejournal

And this one is just for fun--it made me step back with a little gasp. Read the comments on the page if you're confused.

4 comments:

  1. Great question! I got my DivaCup about 2 1/2 years ago at a health foods store (New Frontiers in Flagstaff, AZ), and I've heard other people talk about getting them at Trader Joe's-like stores. They're also popping up in more and more pharmacies--I saw an add for Softcups in Walgreens if I remember correctly (that's the disposable kind--I don't know too much about them).

    I got my Lunette online straight from their website, which is where a lot of people get theirs since only a few brands actually market within the US (Lunette comes from Finland). I found this link with a list of a bunch of cup brands and their websites:

    http://menstrualcups.friendhood.net/t38-places-to-purchase-menstrual-cups

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of places that crunchy hippies shop have them. I haven't seen them at Trader Joe's, but I have seen Diva Cups at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Sunflower and the Co-op here in Tucson. I was actually able to find a Lunette at a cloth diaper store in Scottsdale and remembering Kirstie's praise bought it. I like it WAY better than the Diva Cup. That said, there is always the internet (unless you procrastinate and need one "right now").

    And seriously, thank you Kirstie for recommending the Lunette. The Diva Cup was okay, but the Lunette was way more comfortable and I was happy to have it on vacation last month when we were swimming every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info, Theresa! I had forgotten you mentioned getting the Lunette. Super happy that it works out for you! I'm pretty much in love with mine. :)

    ReplyDelete